A play of life and death, promised in a moment of mortal threat - so began the history of the Oberammergau Passion Play in 1633. In the middle of the Thirty Years War, after months of suffering and death from the plague, the Oberammergauers swore an oath that they would perform the "Play of the Suffering, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ" every ten years. At Pentecost 1634, they fulfilled their pledge for the first time on a stage they put up in the cemetery above the fresh graves of the plague victims. Again in 2020, more than 2,000 Oberammergauers, actors, singers, instrumentalists and stage technicians bring to the stage those events Christianity regards as its central source of life and hope in approximately five hours of playing time.
- 102 performances from May thru October 2020
- Performances start in the afternoon, with a dinner break
- Arrangements include one or two overnight stays in a local hotel
- Combine your visit of Oberammergau with any tour in Germany and neighboring countries.
We'll hand craft an itinerary for your group tour and provide all services.
- We can get any hotel and ticket category for you (as long as it is not sold out...)
- Tickets are still available! Contact us for details and prices.